European union law
Regarding the subject of transport and that of concessions and licences, the firm frequently deals with matters connected to the interpretation and application of European Union law, a field in which it excels thanks to the high level of competence and great experience of its practitioners.
In particular, Massimiliano Grimaldi, during his time as representative of the maritime shipping and inland navigation sector at the legal office of the Ministry of Infrastructures and Transport, dealt with the study and analysis of the European guidelines and directives, the preparation of outlines of legislative decree for implementing various European directives, of the European regulation on the subject of State aids regarding the transport sector as well as, more generally, European regulation on the protection of competition.
The firm’s activity regards matters related to the interpretation and application of both the primary European Union Law (Treaties) and secondary European Union law (regulations; directives; decisions; recommendations and opinions), and measures for implementation of the European directives issued in the light of the law of European delegation (that put into action an organic reform of the rules that regulate the participation of Italy in the formation and fulfilment of the laws and policies of the EU). Indeed, unlike the guidelines that are automatically binding all over the European Union on the date they come into force, the European directives must be transposed by the member countries in their national legislation, except for in the case of self-executing directives, i.e., directives that are detailed enough in their content and that, for this reason, do thus not need any transposition measures from the member states.
The mandates received by the firm include advice and assistance:
- regarding the preparation of transposition measures of European directives in the area of technical requisites of inland navigation vessels and that of goods transport for inland waterways;
- regarding the preparation of measures for the transposition of European directives in the area of professional certification of maritime personnel;
- regarding the preparation of measures for the transposition of European directives in the area of registration of people on board passenger ships;
- regarding matters concerning the length of concessions of maritime state property and state property of inland navigation with tourism-recreative purposes;
- regarding matters concerning the length of concessions of maritime state property and of state property of inland navigation for the construction and management of structures dedicated to yachting (marinas; tourist ports and mooring points);
- regarding the preparation of national measures in the area of state aids compatible with the treaty on the functioning of the European Union (TFEU).
The firm’s clientele is made up of businesses, shipping companies, port terminal operators, railway companies, road haulage companies, trade associations, public companies and public authorities.
Areas of activity
- Maritime and insurance law
- EU funding, infrastructures and logistics
- Law of inland navigation and for tidal waters
- Ship finance
- Commercial port law
- Marina law
- Yachting law (Yachts & Superyachts)
- Railway law
- Highway law
- Offshore oil & gas operations
- European union law
- Competition, antitrust and state aid
- Drafting of legislation and parliamentary law
- Tax, fiscal and customs law
- Administrative law
“Professionalism and a great deal of expertise in a personalised relationship based on trust and striving to get a result together.”
“The Associazione Italiana Armatori Trasporto Passaggeri [Italian Association of Owners of Passenger Transport Vessels] bears witness to the professionalism and competence of Studio Grimaldi. It is purely due to the high level of competence, authority and strategic vision of Massimiliano Grimaldi that the Association has managed to be hugely successful and gain recognition in the maritime field over the last few years.”
Associazione Italiana Armatori Trasporto Passeggeri
“We would like to point out the significant satisfaction of Ucina Confindustria Nautica with the advice and legal assistance received from the lawyer Massimiliano Grimaldi in the Yachting sector.
The lawyer Massimiliano Grimaldi assisted Ucina in negotiating very important legal and economic matters for the industry, first and foremost the reform of the yachting code, not only supplying top-level legal preparation, but also supporting Ucina in selecting the best strategies.”
Ucina Confindustria Nautica
“Thanks to the great competence and forward thinking of the lawyer Massimiliano Grimaldi, we were able to continue conducting our business, overcoming a particularly difficult time.”
Yacht Broker srl
Manager of tourist ports
“With the forward thinking and professionalism of lawyer Massimiliano Grimaldi, we found in Studio Grimaldi great assistance and support in negotiations and selection of sustainable solutions regarding the complex issue of state property concessions of the companies of Saint Mark Square in Venice, coming to the elaboration and promotion of rules for amendment of the national legislation to protect the companies and obtain results. Thank you.”
Veneziana Retail srl and Committee of Ancient Crafts of Venice
“We would like to point out the Genoese company Grimaldi Studio Legale in relation to the expert advice and legal assistance provided to Actv Spa regarding navigation safety and professional certification of on-board personnel.
In particular, lawyer Massimiliano Grimaldi assisted our company in the introduction, in the legislation of a special law that will allow a simplified framework regarding navigation in local public transport service in the protected waters of the lagoon of Venice to be received by the institution.
The above-mentioned collaboration fully satisfied our expectations, at the same time allowing us to appreciate the professionalism, competence and helpfulness of the lawyer Massimiliano Grimaldi.”
ACTV Venezia Spa
Contact us about your case